Fireworks Scrapghan Block

Untitled

Over the weekend I was asked about my Scrapghan project, and I realized it's been a little neglected.  So last night I tried a pattern I found on Ravelry that I've been dying to make.  The pattern is Fireworks Surpise by Amy Schwab, and it's a free Ravelry download!

Untitled

I thought this pattern was particularly fitting after all the lovely 4th of July fireworks I had just seen!  I just love fireworks and am probably just as excited every year to see them as I was when I was little!  Maybe I love the anticipatory excitement before hand just as much.  Getting ready and finding the perfect spot to watch... I don't know, I guess it's similar to that magical once a year excitement on Christmas Eve!

Untitled

Even the back of the pattern is really neat!  I thought it was well written and fun to make.  I only made a few slight changes: I started each round with a standing stitch instead of chains, I added a row of single crochet after the last round, and I used a J hook instead of an I hook just because that's the size hook I've been using for all my scrapghan blocks.  The J worked, but I could see how the smaller sized I hook would make it just a little bit tighter.  Overall, I love it!

Are you guys big fireworks fans too?

Comments

  1. Wow! I love this one Kate! It's so colorful and unusual and almost looks like weaving more than crochet! Great work! I'll have to ask you what a standing stitch is sometime! Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, it's so cool! :) I am SO making one of these to go hang on my wall with my mandalas! I think I'll make a chain loop on one of the corners, so when I hang it it becomes a diamond shape... Inspired!!! :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot,, no, i like it loads,, i think i may have to have a go at this. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it is so beautiful this square. I will definitively try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought it was a lot of fun! I suggest when you go on Ravelry to download the pattern, download both tutorials that come up. The one with the photos was great to make sure you have the stitch placement correct!

      Happy crafting!!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  5. Kate, this is so neat! You did a really nice job making it and the colors look great together! ~sMiLeS~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I tried to pick the basic fireworks colors, but was careful about the color placement because I didn't want it to look like a rainbow!

      Have a great week!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  6. Not really a fireworks fan, but I LOVE your square! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought this square was really creative, and because it was so different it was really fun to hook!

      Thanks for the link, as I'm meeting new people who are visiting from your blog!

      Hope you have a lovely week!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  7. A lot of fireworks got cancelled around here because everything is so dry.
    Love the fireworks crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm visisting you from Pammy Sue's blog. Love your site and adore your work! This granny square really caught my heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - this one is amazing!!!
    Totally love your colour choice and it looks so neat from both sides.
    What a fun square, thanks for linking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this one, Kate! It's so unusual - and the colours are great!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts