A Birthday Lamp, a Tale of Reconciliation

Untitled
Today I want to show you what my dad and I made for my mom for her birthday (which was just the other day)!  We made this lamp from pieces of cherry wood and parts from a broken ceramic lamp that a friend gave me awhile ago (thank you so much Kristen!!).  I think it turned out pretty well...

Untitled
My dad did the beginning and end bits (preparing the wood for turning, shellacking the finished turned piece, and installing the hardware/electrical stuff), and I did the middle bit, which was turning the piece on the lathe.  Truth be told I started that a little while ago... Ok, fine, it was back in February.

Untitled
(Don't you just love the subtle pink tone it has going on?)

I had an awful time turning it.  My tools kept catching in the wood, leaving gouges all over the place...  It was so frustrating, and it felt like I didn't know how to turn any more.  So, before I caused the lamp-to-be any damage purposely, I threatened to turn it into kindling, decided that we were no longer on speaking terms, and put cherry on my list of woods-never-to-turn-again.

Untitled
The grudge lasted until recently when I decided that a several month rivalry with a lamp was a tad ridiculous.  I was not to be defeated by a chunk of wood.  So I went back out to the shop, had a little chat with the lamp, and went to work really slowly.  But, I got it done!!  I took a few pictures while working on it if you're curious about the process.  

It started with some planed pieces of cherry...

Untitled
Became a block ready for turning...

Untitled
Was turned into a rough cylinder...

Untitled
Then the fun stuff began...

Untitled
It started to take shape...

Untitled
After several different grits of sand paper, it was ready to come off the lathe...

Untitled
Then my dad shellacked and assembled it...

Untitled
And we have a lamp!!  It didn't end up looking like how I had it planned in the beginning, but sometimes the wood has other plans.  I think this whole project was a power struggle between the lamp and I.  Once we decided to play nice and work together, it all turned out ok in the end!

p.s. I know some of you may be curious about the crocheted doily I put under the lamp for these pictures!  My grandmother made it, and I went through some her old patterns that I have, but haven't found it yet!  I did a quick search on Ravelry too, but no luck.  I'm not sure how well you can make it out in the picture, but does it look familiar to anyone? I haven't given up on looking for it yet...

p.p.s. Cherry is no longer on my list of woods-never-to-turn-again.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful lamp. You and your Dad are an awsome team. I am really amazed that you can take that wood and end up with that pretty lamp.
    Love the doily too, but does not look familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely present! And well done you for keeping at it to make something so great - and not giving up! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm glad you won the power struggle. I know your mom must love the lamp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The finished lamp looks beautiful and I love the grain of the wood and the beautiful colours running through it. Well done for persevering on this great gift for your mother! How wonderful to have a doily made by your grandmother. I hope you find the pattern to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! I really love the wavy effect of the wood!!!
    Bravissima Kate!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that lamp is so cool! Thanks for showing us the process...So, is the cherry wood harder to work with then? Or was it just that particular piece? Just curious. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts