Baby Shower Gifts Part 1 of 2

Untitled

I loved making these baby gifts for my cousin Steph!  How cute is that giraffe?  You can find the pattern at I Love Buttons By Emma.  Also, with a motif from the Japanese crochet book 300 Crochet Motifs and Edgings, I made the baby blanket that the stripy giraffe looks so comfy on!  Want to see more?

Untitled

I see that the giraffe pattern (here) now has some edits to the pattern which is great!  I didn't mind changing a few things here and there to make the stitches and rows add up or make it look more like the picture, but I wouldn't have suggested the pattern if you are uncomfortable using a pattern as a starting guideline.  But perhaps with the changes you wouldn't have to make any adjustments!  (You can see above I added a tail as well!)

The specifics: I used Vanna's Choice in Silver Heather, Taupe and White, Vanna's Choice Baby in Duckie, Sweet Pea, and Little Boy Blue and Red Heart in Pumpkin, with a size G (4.0mm) hook.

Untitled

For the baby blanket I picked a simple square motif from 300 Crochet Motifs and Edgings, and used 5 colors (Vanna's Choice in Silver Heather and White, and Vanna's Choice Baby in Duckie, Little Boy Blue and Sweet Pea), and a size J Crochet hook.  I joined squares as I went (randomly choosing colors) and made it 12 squares by 12 squares.  The final size of the blanket was about 41 inches square.

Untitled

After all the squares were joined I decided to leave the blanket without a border.  I liked the simple patchwork look of it!

Untitled

It was an easy and fun crochet project!  I love projects where you feel like you make progress quickly, (and I really love the practicality of a blanket as well)!

Stay tuned for Part 2... another crochet project!

Comments

  1. It's so cute! Love the colors you used...I'm sure your cousin and baby will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that giraffe! And I think adding the tail was an excellent decision. Super cute. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!! I loved that giraffe pattern after I saw it awhile ago, and was thrilled when I had the excuse to actually make it!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  3. What a lovely gift for a new baby! I love the patchwork blanket and that giraffe is so cheeky and cheerful. I like the addition of orange in his stripes and the ears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute gifts!! I love them both, the giraffe is so cheery and I love that you've used a different motif than a traditional granny square for the patchwork blanket. Your colours are great too, take care Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! I'm glad you like the motif I picked, as it took me awhile to find one I was happy with! I wanted something that had a little design to it, but at the same time I didn't want something that had any big holes!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  5. LOVE !!!!!!!!
    you did a great job Kate!!!! I like the blanket so much.......!!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. So stinkin' adorable!! The giraffe is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate! I can't believe I missed this one! I love the colours you've used in your giraffe and blanket! In fact, I'm sewing (or trying to sew) a quilt for my best friend (who's due to have a baby in September), and I'm using similar colours. Will show you when it's done. Clearly, we both have good taste! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love it and its gonna be hard to share it with Gavin :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts