Doily Dream Catchers- Dreaming in Gold

Untitled
It was tough fooling you guys when I gave you a sneak peek of one of these the other week!  You guys were pretty much spot on!  I present to you my doily dream catchers (or crocheted dream catcher/wall hanging thingies.)  I suppose they would be my answer to "what would dream catchers look like if they were a little bit vintage, a little bit modern and a lot crafty?"  I've made several, but I thought it would be nice to put them in smaller groups so I can go into a little more detail about each of them for those interested.  These particular dream catchers are for those who dream in gold.

Untitled
I painted this 10 inch embroidery hoop with gold paint and sealed it with artist's varnish. I then picked a vintage doily pattern to start (Festival Fancy Luncheon Mat), and worked it with size 10 thread (Aunt Lydia's size 10 in the color Natural) and a 1.65mm hook until it would fit inside the hoop.

Untitled
As I finished the last round I slip stitched the piece to the inner hoop. (Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to get the right amount of rounds in so that it isn't too tight or too loose within the hoop!)

Untitled
When the piece is crocheted to the inner hoop, the outer hoop is placed over the inner hoop and tightened, the ends are sewn in and it's ready for hanging and catching dreams (or just looking pretty on the wall)!

Untitled
This 9 inch embroidery hoop was left as is, and I used Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Metallics size 5 (in Natural/Gold) and a size 5 steel hook (I'm going to guess that it's about a 1.9mm).  The pattern I worked from is the Lucky Star Potholder.

Untitled
Sometimes there's also a bit of improvising on the last round to get it attached to the hoop!

Untitled
I'm afraid my camera didn't do a very good job in capturing the gold filament in this thread, but it's there, I swear!!  But I think this larger thread worked out nicely!  And I also think I may want to try this pattern again in a smaller (or larger?) thread!

What do you think?  Think they'd be sellable at the craft fair?  Make sure you come back because I have a few more to show you too!

I hope your week is golden!

(And I don't want to be a broken record, but don't forget about the Giveaway if you want to be one of the three random commenters chosen on June 15th!)

Comments

  1. They look so lovely, Kate!!:) it is a nice idea for doily. I am sure going to try these as I like making doilies:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are perfect Kate!!!!
    I would love to try one with a colourful doily or/and a colourful frame!!!
    Thank you for the inspiration!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dream Catchers! So that's what they are! You've done fabulous work, Kate. The detail is so beautiful and I especially love the smaller one with that lovely web-like edging attached to the ring. Well cone! They would definitely at the craft fair! I just hope that people realize all the work that goes into something so artistically beautiful and takes some hours to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, I love them. I know these would sell at a craft fair, your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's very kind of you to say!!
      Have a fabulous week!
      Kate :}

      Delete
  5. They're lovely Kate. I think a little bit of feathers and beads hanging from the bottom would be good - and I do believe they would sell at a craft fair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! Delicate and so pretty. I love how you painted the hoop gold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so beautiful! I love that you painted the hoop gold. These would sell so fast at a craft fair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez Kate! These are awesome! Dream Catchers...what a lovely idea for crocheted doilies! I think you wouldn't have any problem selling these! Thank you always for sharing the pattern and tips for making this beautiful art, it inspires me to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate these are gorgeous. I could kick myself!!! I just donated a box of these to the goodwill what would I ever do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would've loved to see the festival fancy hoop all decked out in dream catcher fashion--rustic wood hoop and feathers, the whole shabang! But your crochet is just amazing. Fantastic job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, at some point I would like to try using some feathers and such!! Perhaps, I'll try it next! Currently I'm enjoying the minimalistic look I guess!
      Kate :}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts