Before and After: A Print Makeover

Untitled
BEFORE

Last weekend I was at a rummage sale, and this print jumped out at me. Something about it seemed familiar, although I couldn't place it. I had no idea why I liked it, so I walked away, only to come back to it. Apparently I couldn't leave without the mystery print. It just needed a little makeover...

Untitled
AFTER

After taking the print apart, I discovered it was an Andrew Wyeth (have you seen his painting Christina's World?! It's beautiful in person!) print called Spring Sun. After looking it up online and taking a closer look at where the mat had slightly covered the edges, I could tell that the print had faded a lot, to a greenish hue. You can see what the original looks like here. I must say that I prefer the faded look!

I painted the frame black with a couple of coats of acrylic paint and then finished it with artists' varnish. I then got out one of my favorite tools in my craft arsenal, my Logan mat cutter, and cut a double mat with black and white. I think the black and white highlights the nice color that the print faded to.

What do you guys think of this print? I think what I like about it is the light from the window, and the composition. Don't you just wonder what this old man is thinking?

Comments

  1. I can't believe what a MASSIVE difference changing the framing has had - well done to you for seeing the potential and rescuing the old print!
    Happy Friday!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. your makeover is perfect!!!!
    What really intrigue me is that you can only see the back of that man, who is mysterious ….. !!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I prefer the faded version too, it's softer. You've given it a more modern look with your new framing and it brings the blue-grey colours out better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts